Ultrix 4.0's Perception of Memory Size

Dave Robbins dcr0 at gte.com
Sat Apr 20 02:04:47 AEST 1991

I am running Ultrix 4.0 on a DECStation 3100 with 24MB of memory.  The PROM
code recognizes and tests 24MB of memory, but when Ultrix is booting up it
insists that there is only 12MB of memory.  Why?  /vmunix is configured to
expect 24MB ("physmem 24" in the config file).  Is there something more I
should do to tell Ultrix how much memory it has?  Is there something it looks
at in the hardware and there's not a doggone thing I can do about it?  This
is a fairly recent upgrade from 3.X, and if I remember correctly the earlier
version did indeed recognize all 24MB (but I'm not positive about that).
Did I waste my company's money on 12MB of memory?
--

Dave Robbins                    GTE Laboratories Incorporated
drobbins at gte.com                40 Sylvan Rd.