Ultrix 4.0's Perception of Memory Size

AJ Casamento ajc at thendara.pa.dec.com
Sat Apr 20 08:57:35 AEST 1991

	Dave,

	  If your operating system is only reporting 12MB of the 24MB that
	you have loaded have you tried re-seating the memory SIMMS? One of
	the prototype DS3100 units that I used to have caused me a similar
	problem when I added memory (though I will admit that I did the
	installation myself). Although generically the fact that the console
	level is able to see all 24MB indicates that the memory is properly
	installed.

	  The only other time I've seen this is when somebody tries to mix
	1Mbit and 4Mbit DRAMs in the same system (unlikely in your case) as
	Ultrix does not currently support such mixtures.

	  I hope that this helps.

				Thanx,
				  AJ

      * AJ Casamento			"The question is not whether or    *
      * Digital's TRI/ADD Program	 not the opinions are mine; but    *
      * 100 Hamilton Ave. UCO1-B	 rather, which of my personalities *
      * Palo Alto, CA 94301-1616	 do they belong to?"		   *
      * 415.853.6744							   *
      * ajc at decwrl.dec.com						   *