HELP: MODEM ON MVAX - IMPOSSIBLE ??

Dietmar Weis weis at netmbx.UUCP
Thu Apr 11 06:08:39 AEST 1991

UNABLE TO RUN A MODEM ON A VAX, SHAME ON ME

This is a cry for help.

I have a 9600 bps modem attached to a serial port on a MVAX 3900, Ultrix 3.1,
in auto answer mode.

With default settings of the modem parameters and settings I usually successful
use on other hardware I run in trouble on the MVAX:

Getty says: open failed, operation would block

What I can see is, that DTR goes low for 60 seconds and high for 30 seconds, it
never continously stays high. (I've configured the modem with &D2)
CTS,RTS and DSR stay high.

My problem is: I get a CONNECT 9600/REL but the getty doesn't come thru' as
long DTR is low, sometimes you have to wait 60 seconds 'til the login prompt
appears. With &D0 there is no problem with DTR when logging in, but there won't
be a hangup on the line when exiting. Thats a mess as well.

For four months now I am looking for an explanation/solution.
Where is the fault ?

Device flags in the kernel config file, wrong /etc/ttys entry, wrong modem
setup ? Or what ?

Please help me.

Dietmar

PS: I hae similiar Problems on: DECserver200, MVAX II (VMS), MVAX 2000 (VMS
and Ultrix)

--
weis at netmbx.UUCP         | Dietmar Weis         DONOP CONSULT GmbH
Voice: 030/884 28 54-0   |                      Uhlandstrasse 179/180