Problems with SLIP on Ultrix 4.0

Jim Watt jim at finnigan.UUCP
Thu Apr 11 08:41:05 AEST 1991

The following (from Van Jacobson's installation notes on CSLIP) may well
be relevant:

|>    (a) If you don't have the network code from the 4.3-tahoe bsd release,
|>        get and install it -- Earlier TCP's are almost unusable over serial
|>    lines because of problems with timeouts and buffer overflow.
|>    (The code is available for anonymous ftp from ucbarpa.berkeley.edu,
|>    files pub/4.3/tcp.tar and inet.tar.)

I've been experimenting with dialupIP (highly recommended, available
from uunet via anonymous FTP), and am seeing massive retransmissions
under heavy load.

The reason dialupIP is worth looking at is that you *REALLY CAN* make and
break SLIP connections with it!  The package was done by BBN, and is very
well documented.  There are a few gotchas about "vax" versus "ultrix" in
some of the conditional code, but if you've been having trouble with DEC's
SLIP, take a look!

Jim
--
James G. Watt         Voice: +1 408 433 4800
Finnigan Corporation  355 River Oaks Pkwy.      San Jose CA 95134-1991