Is there a way to print to an ip address?

Frank P. Bresz fpb at ittc.wec.com
Tue Apr 23 12:38:07 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr19.145010.25605 at unx2.ucc.okstate.edu> terry at unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Terry J. Klarich) writes:

>We would like to share a printer between a few unix systems.  We have thaught
>of using our terminal server as the serial interface for the printer.  We can
>give a port on the terminal server its own ip address.  Therefore, any system
>can connect to the printer.  via its ip address.  Now, can ultrix print to a
>ip address and then disconnect for the next person.  If any knows how to make
>this work, I would be interested in hearing from you.

	How about just hanging the printer off of a serial port from the
workstation and using the rm, rp fields of a standard printcap file to
allow all machines to have access to the queue.  Or if you really need to
use the terminal server.  Do a similar thing where only one of the Boxes
actually feeds the serial lines.  I have found things go much better when I
use serial connections for printers to real live machines, and just route
printout via printcaps.  If you want some more helpl let me know.