Also Interested: Future of VAX Ultrix

Bill Gripp billg at bony1.bony.com
Thu Apr 4 02:02:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr02.154943.6583 at decuac.dec.com> avolio at decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>>I heard rumours that Dec is planning to quit VMS and move EVERYTHING to
>>Ultrix ... (no kidding, I realy heard this and it was a week before the
>>1st of April).

Do you have any swamp land or a bridge for sale???

>Hahahahaahhhahahahahahahhahahah
>

>Oops... sorry... just that I've been doing UNIX in Digital a while now and
>have developed a weird sense of humor.
>
>Look, I'm not official, but the above statement is absolutely false.  Funny,
>we've had to defend the fact that we support UNIX as well as VMS for years.
>Now we might have to prove that we support VMS.  This is fun.
>
>Anyway, Digital is most certainly:
>
>	- writing new software for both operating systems (DEC FUSE, DEC VUIT,
>	  the new DEC compilers coming out are good, recent examples of
>	  these)
>
>	- writing some software for other vendors' platforms as well
>	  it seems
>
>	- Supporting both VMS and UNIX (ULTRIX ---> OSF/1)
>
>Fred

Well the rumor that I've heard (and it is at least 6 months old)
is that over the long haul, DEC will gradually merge VMS and ULTRIX into
a singel OS which incorporates features of both, have CLI's for both, etc.

The result will be that either a VMS or UNIX type can sit down and use
it "without knowing" it's "both".

Then of course there is the other rumor that DEC will make VMS POSIX
compliant and so everybody will want VMS not UNIX.

And then...