Also Interested: Future of VAX Ultrix

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.DEC.COM
Wed Apr 3 01:49:43 AEST 1991

>I heard rumours that Dec is planning to quit VMS and move EVERYTHING to
>Ultrix ... (no kidding, I realy heard this and it was a week before the
>1st of April).

Hahahahaahhhahahahahahahhahahah

Oops... sorry... just that I've been doing UNIX in Digital a while now and
have developed a weird sense of humor.

Look, I'm not official, but the above statement is absolutely false.  Funny,
we've had to defend the fact that we support UNIX as well as VMS for years.
Now we might have to prove that we support VMS.  This is fun.

Anyway, Digital is most certainly:

	- writing new software for both operating systems (DEC FUSE, DEC VUIT,
	  the new DEC compilers coming out are good, recent examples of
	  these)

	- writing some software for other vendors' platforms as well
	  it seems

	- Supporting both VMS and UNIX (ULTRIX ---> OSF/1)

Fred