lpd causes crash with CPU PANIC !!

Matt Thomas thomas at mipsbx.lkg.dec.com
Sun Apr 28 11:36:42 AEST 1991

In article <21639 at versatc.versatec.COM> tamura at versatc.versatec.COM (Mark Tamura) writes:
>In article <2286 at netmbx.UUCP>, weis at netmbx.UUCP (Dietmar Weis) writes:
>>
>>  On a DECSystem3100 running Ultrix 4.0 sometimes occur inconsistencies
>>  in the lpd system (printing to lat printers), followed by a system crash!!
>>
>I had the same problem.  Apparent with Ultrix 4.0 the system will crash if
>no output filter is specified in /etc/printcap.  After I added an "of" entry,
>everything worked fine.  Also Digital support refused to make/send a patch
>for a third-party printer.

A patch for the CSCs has been available for V4.0 for a long time (the bug
was detected right after V4.0 was shipped) and was incorporated into V4.1.
As for the CSC not sending the patch, my opinion is that they should have
sent the patch regardless of the printer.  The bug is independent of the
type of printer and type of DECserver.  Sigh...

Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas at pa.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.