lpd causes crash with CPU PANIC !!

Mark Tamura tamura at versatc.versatec.COM
Sat Apr 27 07:26:53 AEST 1991

In article <2286 at netmbx.UUCP>, weis at netmbx.UUCP (Dietmar Weis) writes:

>  On a DECSystem3100 running Ultrix 4.0 sometimes occur inconsistencies
>  in the lpd system (printing to lat printers), followed by a system crash!!
>
>  lpc status said for example "no progress since 3 days" ,
>  "waiting to connect" or "no daemon active", the error log says "output
>  filter to lat malfunctioned (0)", "cannot open /dev/tty??, no such file or
>  directory" or "job aborted".

I had the same problem.  Apparent with Ultrix 4.0 the system will crash if
no output filter is specified in /etc/printcap.  After I added an "of" entry,
everything worked fine.  Also Digital support refused to make/send a patch
for a third-party printer.
--
Xerox Engineering Systems         INET: Mark_S_Tamura.SCB1Versatec at Xerox.COM
West Coast Operations             UUCP: {ames,pyramid,sun}!versatc!tamura