Also Interested: Future of VAX Ultrix

Glenn Tarcea tarcea at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Tue Apr 2 06:45:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar28.165219.14147 at cl.cam.ac.uk> maj at cl.cam.ac.uk (Martyn Johnson) writes:
>I've heard it said that the OSF/1-based Ultrix 5.0 will be RISC only,
>and that VAX Ultrix will stick at version 4.<last>.  Can anyone with
>hard information confirm or deny this rumour?

  I too would be interested in hearing something about this. The school I
work at currently has as their main U*x system a 6000-310 (Slow, Slow, Slow).
If for some reason DEC is not going to continue to upgrade Ultrix on VAX systems
in the future I would like to know. I'd ask a sales rep, but we all know the
kind of answer I would get from them.

    -- glenn