Fujitsu Eagle == RA81

Greg Pavlov pavlov at canisius.UUCP
Mon Feb 25 15:35:10 AEST 1991

In article <3595 at gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, rauletta at gmuvax2.gmu.edu (R. J. Auletta) writes:

> We are in possession of a Fujitsu Eagle Disk Drive
> (from a defunct Pyramid 90x.) and are wondering
> if we should pursue moving it to a VAX3600/Q-Bus system.
>
> Is this disk equivalent to an RA81?

  The Fujitsu Eagle speaks the SMD protocol.  So you need to purchase a con-
  troller that sits on the QBUS, accepts MSCP "commands" and "translates" them
  to SMD before forwarding them to the disk drive.  Such controllers are avail-
  able from various third party vendors such as Dilog.

> A quick look reveals that an adaptor cable will be required
> as a minimum to adapt the ribbon cable to DEC's type of
> cables.

  You are probably best off getting the cable from the same place that supplies
  the controller.

> How does the Eagle compare to an RA81/RA82 performance wise?

  Supposedly very well, tho I can't verify this from personal experience.  A
  lot of Eagles were connected to SUN and DEC machines and (probably) still are.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
   pavlov at stewart.fstrf.org