Ultrix 4.2

Rice Don D fnddr at acad3.alaska.edu
Sat Feb 2 06:58:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan31.222728.26557 at cs.umn.edu>, rjg at umnstat.uucp (Robert J. Granvin) writes...
>Simple question: What's the timeframe on Ultrix 4.2?  (Will it also be
>released similarly to 4.1, full install, followed later by a method to
>update previous versions...?)

Is there a shortcut to go from 4.0 to 4.1 without doing a full install?  I
upgraded a 3.1 system to 4.1 by doing the full install, and it was sufficiently
laborious that I really don't want to go through it again on our 4.0 systems.
I called DEC tech support to see if there was a special upgrade path, and the
answer was an uncertain-sounding I-don't-think-so.
Part of the problem is that the installation guides for our 4.1 tapes either
weren't supplied or were promptly lost.  So far I haven't had any luck
getting the part numbers for all of them from DEC so I can order a set.
Anyone know what they are?  I presume there are basic, advanced, and mandatory
upgrade manuals as in 4.0.

>As we're considering skipping 4.1 and just wait for 4.2, I'm trying to
>get a handle on how long it will be necessary to wait...  :-)

If it takes 4 hours to go from 4.0 to 4.1 as it did to upgrade from 3.1, I'd
be inclined to wait.  I am tempted, though, by the new product announcements
for Ultrix 4.1 C and Fortran.  It would be nice to know if 4.2 is due this
spring or this summer, or this fall, or next year...

One thing that would speed up the upgrade is if the installation process
wouldn't newfs all of the file systems it sees, making it necessary to restore
all the user files.  But unless there is some trick to bypass it in advanced
installation, I don't see how to avoid it.

Don Rice                                  Internet: ddr at flux.gi.alaska.edu
Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr at alaska.bitnet
University of Alaska                      Phone:    (907) 474-7569
Fairbanks, AK 99775                       Loran:    64.86N 212.16E