always the same troubles with DEC: curses vs. cursesX

System Janitor hubcap at hubcap.clemson.edu
Sat Feb 9 01:23:31 AEST 1991

 *  I'm very unhappy with the philosophy DEC takes with their ULTRIX line of
 *  UNIX...     The problem with DEC seems to be their willingness to create
 *  propriatary variants of otherwise established defacto standards.

I feel this way too sometimes (mail11's SMTP ``enhancements'', arrrgggghhhh),
but...

 *  	* when I expect to get a bourne shell like I get it on any of the
 *  	  other machines that I'm working on (HP,SUN,IX,NCR,...), I only get
 *  	  a partial solution and I have to figure out myself, that there is
 *  	  in fact a beast called 'sh5' that would be more standard.

... the comments in the source to /bin/sh indicate that it is indeed
Steven Bourne's. So while it may be fair to say that /bin/sh is not as
up-to-date as some other sh's you are used to, it doesn't look to me
as if DEC has spooged on it much.

-Mike