always the same troubles with DEC: curses vs. cursesX

Hermann Hueni hueni at .iam.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 8 08:37:05 AEST 1991

I'm very unhappy with the philosophy DEC takes with their ULTRIX line of
UNIX.

It takes me always a long time to find out how to make work something on
the ULTRIX machine as I expect it to work. The problem with DEC seems to be
their willingness to create propriatary variants of otherwise established
defacto standards.

	* when I expect to get a bourne shell like I get it on any of the
	  other machines that I'm working on (HP,SUN,IX,NCR,...), I only get
	  a partial solution and I have to figure out myself, that there is
	  in fact a beast called 'sh5' that would be more standard.

	* When preparing a small curses demonstration program for my
	  students, I run it successfully on 5 different machines in
	  sysV & BSD derived environments with no problems at all.
	  When I finally took it onto the Decstation (where the students
	  have to work), it ran out of control or dumped core after some
	  reproducible input sequences.

	  Then, after a too long period of testing, I discovered that
	  there was a library called "cursesX", supposed to be X-Open
	  compatible. This library is basically sysV-curses but instead of
	  performing correctly, I got another misbehaviour.

	  There is no man page for "cursesX" as there is for "curses".
	  But whoever searches long enough, discovers in section "3cur"
	  a man page "intro". NOBODY ELSE HAS THIS SECTION!

The specific problem with cursesX seems to be in the routine "overwrite".

hermann

Hermann Hueni					Physiological Institute
Seidenweg 40					University of Berne
CH-3012 Bern					CH-3012 Bern - Switzerland
phone : +(41 31) [p:] 234-607			[b:] 658-726
e-mail: hueni at iam.unibe.ch			fax   : +(41 31) 654-611