DECsystems as timesharing systems

Daryl Morse morse at quark.mpr.ca
Fri Feb 15 06:02:24 AEST 1991

In article <26921 at uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mcw at pine.circa.ufl.edu (WRIGHT) writes:

<   Could anyone share any experiences they have using DECsystems (any model)
<   as a multiuser or timesharing system, with or without workstations?
<   I'd like to know how many concurrent users you can comfortably
<   support, what model it is, how much memory, what kind of disks.

We have a DECsystem 5000 with 40 Mbytes of memory, around 2.5 Gbytes
of disk space (some DEC, some 3rd party), and a couple of 8 MM tape
drives. The system is used as a file server for 5-10 workstations
(DEC, and Sun), for backups of 15 or so workstations, as a compute
server for DECwrite, and interactively for 10-20 users. I have never
noticed it being over-utilized. There seems to be lots of excess
capacity.

Overall, it is a very good system. When price is considered, it is
even better. A comparable Sun machine came in at a *significantly*
higher price.

If you have any more questions, let me know.
--
Daryl Morse                     | Voice : (604) 293-5476
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC    | E-Mail: morse at quark.mpr.ca
Canada, V5A 4B5                 |         quark.mpr.ca!morse at uunet.uu.net