DECsystems as timesharing systems

Greg Pavlov pavlov at canisius.UUCP
Mon Feb 25 15:43:53 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb20.161539.1175 at portia.Stanford.EDU>, kocks at jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:

> One problem ---  dec3100 is slow when it comes to having multiple,
> running, background jobs.  It is much, much, faster to run one job and
> then another, vs. two jobs at once. .....

  Everyone's job mix is unique.  In our case, we found the above to be primarily
  due to disk i/o, especially if using DEC's standard-issue RZ55 disk.  DEC hel-
  ped that some with a PROM upgrade.

  We improved the situation quite a bit by adding memory - and buying third-
  party disks  (tho the RZ56 and RZ57 are also more competent, expensive as
  well).

  pavlov at stewart.fstrf.org