Cnews help needed

The Ancient Programmer abrams at bnlux0.bnl.gov
Thu Feb 21 07:37:33 AEST 1991

	We are attempting to install Cnews on a Decsystem 5000 running
Ultrix 4.1, and have run into difficulties.  When we attempted to run
doit.bin, the scipt aborted with the following errors:
+ make u COPTS=-O
cc '-DPTR_TYPE=unsigned char *' -O -c fgets.c
ccom: Warning: fgets.c, line 89: illegal pointer combination
                                fp->_ptr = (unsigned char *)bp;
      --------------------------------------------------------^
cc '-DPTR_TYPE=unsigned char *' -O -c fputs.c
cc '-DPTR_TYPE=unsigned char *' -O -c rdwr.c
ccom: Error: rdwr.c, line 20: redeclaration of fread
      char *ptr;
      ---^
ccom: Warning: rdwr.c, line 44: illegal pointer combination
                                fp->_ptr = (unsigned char *)bp;
      --------------------------------------------------------^
ccom: Error: rdwr.c, line 70: redeclaration of fwrite
      char *ptr;
      ---^
ccom: Warning: rdwr.c, line 93: illegal pointer combination
                                fp->_ptr = (unsigned char *)bp;
*** Error code 1

Stop.
+ exit 1

	Has anyone encountered these problems. Does anyone know of a
solution?

	All suggestions gratefully accepted.   Thanks in advance.