CMA threads usage?

Fletcher Kittredge fkittred at bbn.com
Fri Jan 11 04:17:49 AEST 1991

In article <18809 at shlump.nac.dec.com> billmers at merlyn.enet.dec.com (Meyer Billmers) writes:
>> My understanding is that CMA is going to be replaced by Pthreads.  We are
>> aiming our (extensive) threads development at that enviroment.
>
>Pardon my ignorance (for that's probably what it is), but isn't CMA part of
>OSF's Distributed Computing Environment (DCE)? If so, how could OSF/1 using
>something else (e.g. Pthreads)?

This is a *VERY* good question which I have asked myself.  It goes with the
question "Doesn't Mach IPC make DCE NCS redundant on OSF/1?"  The best answer
I can come up with is that CMA and NCS are meant for environments other
than OSF/1 for people whom want a system that will work in a VMS or PC
environment.  Another likely scenerio is that the architecture of DCE was
defined before Mach and Pthreads were chosen for OSF/1.

regards,
fletcher
Fletcher Kittredge
Platforms and Tools Group, BBN Software Products
10 Fawcett Street,  Cambridge, MA. 02138
617-873-3465  /  fkittred at bbn.com  /  fkittred at das.harvard.edu