CMA threads usage?

Jim Gettys jg at quabbin.crl.dec.com
Fri Jan 11 01:13:21 AEST 1991

In article <18809 at shlump.nac.dec.com> billmers at merlyn.enet.dec.com (Meyer Billmers) writes:
>> My understanding is that CMA is going to be replaced by Pthreads.  We are
>> aiming our (extensive) threads development at that enviroment.
>
>Pardon my ignorance (for that's probably what it is), but isn't CMA part of
>OSF's Distributed Computing Environment (DCE)? If so, how could OSF/1 using
>something else (e.g. Pthreads)?

You are correct; CMA is part of DCE.  But there is no conflict here; pthreads
has been influenced by the CMA work, and it is a simple matter of programming
interfaces, as I understand it, rather than significant functionality
differences.  I'm not expert in these matters, but I don't know if any
of the people working on CMA read this group (particularly since they
have to get the OSF the code sometime around now, from what I remember).
				- Jim
--
Digital Equipment Corporation
Cambridge Research Laboratory