Xcfb growing and growing and grow....

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Thu Jan 24 05:24:46 AEST 1991

tridge at aerodec.anu.edu.au (Andrew Tridgell) writes:
>Does anyone know why Xcfb would grow? Whenever anyone is logged on to
>the console of our DS3100 I've noticed that Xcfb grows - and doesn't
>shrink when they exit.
>
>We are running Ultrix 4

	There is a "memory leak" in the 4.0 and 4.1 servers (RISC/VAX)
that apparently stems from save-unders and some interaction with the
memory allocator. This will be fixed in 4.2.

	A work-around is to start the server without save-unders, as
"Xcfb -su" in /etc/ttys. Running without save-unders isn't a performance hit
unless you're doing complex pictures.

mjr.
--
Bumper Sticker:  "Unix wizards do it with small, efficient, modular tools"
				(C)Marcus Ranum, 1991