New RISC compilers????

Jim Gettys jg at jg.crl.dec.com
Wed Mar 13 22:52:14 AEST 1991

In article <19805 at cbmvax.commodore.com> grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1991Mar13.031200.29836 at crl.dec.com> jg at jg.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:
>> In article <15530012 at hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> sritacco at hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) writes:
>> >
>> >I have read that the DECstation 5000 SPEC mark went up to 19.something with
>> >"new" compilers.  Could someone tell me if the new compilers are DEC or
>> >Mips?
>>
>> If memory serves, the new number is 19.9, or there abouts.
>>
>> The compilers are new Digital compilers, the first of a new generation
>> of compiler technology (called "Gem") that has been under development
>> for some time, done by the folks who did the very high quality VAX/VMS
>> compilers.
>
>So is this the "VAX C" reborn again in MIPS flavor?  Can y'all use it
>to build Ultrix?  Did the updated MIPS C compiler ever make in into
>an Ultrix release?

No, the new compilers are NOT the old VAX/VMS compilers; they are an
entirely new implementation, from scratch.  I think you'll find they don't
suffer from the problems the VAX C and Fortran compilers did when ported
to Ultrix; these are fully integrated native compilers.

I can't answer your question about the C compiler; I haven't personally
played with it.  I did get a copy of the fortran compiler to a number of
heavy fortran user friends of mine, who seem pretty happy with it.

As to the updated MIPS C (2.1) compiler, it actually is on the current
MIPS Fortran kit, and gets installed with it.  It did not become the default
compiler in Ultrix 4.0 and Ultrix 4.1 since it did not recieve sufficient
field testing.  The field test of Ultrix 4.2 I am running has 2.1 as
the default compiler.  (For those of you who might be getting confused,
this paragraph is about the existing MIPS compiler).
				- Jim
--
Digital Equipment Corporation
Cambridge Research Laboratory