Ultrix resolver question

Vince Fuller vaf at Valinor.Stanford.EDU
Tue Mar 5 13:38:21 AEST 1991

We recently (today) started running a DS5000/Ultrix 4.1(55) system as
one of our primary servers for handling mail and domain service. While
looking at the system this evening, I noticed that along with lots of
outgoing TCP/SMTP connections, there also seem to be a lot of TCP/DOMAIN
connections to the local domain server port. Is it the case that Ultrix
domain requests use TCP instead of UDP by default? Alternatively, is it
possible that sendmail 5.65 requests this? It seems like overkill to
setup TCP/DOMAIN (instead of light-weight UDP/DOMAIN requets) for every
simple name lookup that is done.

	Thanks,
	--Vince