Getting MIT/R4 clients to run on DECnet

Mike Iglesias iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
Sat Mar 9 02:22:10 AEST 1991

In article <bsh.668419886 at iddth3> bsh at iddth3.id.dk (Bo Stig Hansen (EMP)) writes:
>I have the same problem on a VAXstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.1.
>Recently I tried to build the SeeTeX previewer for TeX output
>(posted on comp.sources.x) and noticed that the include
>files are NOT organized like on the MIT distribution (Athena
>widget stuff in a separate subdirectory etc.).
>
>More grave is it, however, that some files are totally missing, e.g.
><X11/Xmu/Converters.h> and <X11/Xaw/Sme.h>.

DECwindows is not R4, so you can't expect things to be where they should be
in R4.  You'll need the R4 distribution to build most, if not all,
the R4 clients since they're looking for the R4 include files and
calling R4 library routines that may not be in the DECwindows libraries.

We have one DECstation that has /usr/include/X11 pointing to the R4 includes,
/usr/lib/X11 is R4-ized, etc. and use it to build R4 stuff.  If we need
to build DECwindow program, we do it on another system.

Ultrix v4.2 is supposed to be R4-compliant.  I haven't seen it, so I can't
say whether it really is.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu