Adding 3rd party peripherals to a DecStation 5xxx.

Frank Wortner frank at croton.nyo.dec.com
Tue Mar 5 23:54:31 AEST 1991

In article <897 at sibyl.eleceng.ua.OZ>, ian at sibyl.eleceng.ua.OZ (Ian Dall)
writes:
> I want to put a QIC-24 compatable SCSI interface tape drive on
> the system. In the future we might want to put other 3rd party SCSI
> devices on it.
>
> How difficult is it to add new device drivers? Is the interface
> between the SCSI interface and the tape and disk drivers well defined?
> Is source for the device drivers supplied?

When you get your machine, take a look in /sys/data/scsi_data.c.
There's a large comment in there with general instructions for adding
devices.

I'm not sure about availability in OZ, but here in the US Digital sells a
QIC tape drive called the TZK10.  If you don't have a QIC drive already,
you might want to check it out.

				Frank