Adding 3rd party peripherals to a DecStation 5xxx.

Greg Pavlov pavlov at canisius.UUCP
Wed Mar 6 14:01:10 AEST 1991

In article <897 at sibyl.eleceng.ua.OZ>, ian at sibyl.eleceng.ua.OZ (Ian Dall) writes:
> We are getting a DecStation 5xxx (not sure which one here) but it
> hasn't arrived yet so I can't "look and see" what comes as standard in
> Ultrix. I want to put a QIC-24 compatable SCSI interface tape drive on
> the system. In the future we might want to put other 3rd party SCSI
> devices on it.
>
> What I want to know, is whether Ultrix device drivers allow this.

  We, like many others, use 3rd party disks on DEC 5000s (HP and Seagate).
  We also use an AVIV/Exabyte 8mm tape drive.  Non required acquisition/
  installation of special device drivers.  In general, you should be
  able to do the same.  But I would insist on "references" of current
  users before purchasing any third-party hardware; there's enough on
  the market that should allow you to insist on this condition and still
  obtain what you need.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
   pavlov at stewart.fstrf.org