Ultrix 4.1 on VAX 8800

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Sat Mar 9 10:08:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar8.131235.8900 at news.cs.indiana.edu}, lwm at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Larry Meehan) writes:
} I'm looking for sites running Ultrix 4.1 on a VAX 8800.  We have seen several
} disturbing problem since we upgraded to 4.1 and I'd like to compare notes
} with any sysadmins on similar systems.

	Compare away...
}
} I have a test program which demonstrates what I take to be a bug in the
} signal handling code when the sleep() call is used.  If you have an 8800
} running Ultrix 4.1 (or any other SMP Ultrix) I will be happy to mail you
} the program.

	Ok, but what affect does the program have?

}
} Also, we don't seem to be able to use the DMB32 on our system without getting
} panics due to vaxbi errors.  We have swapped out about everything on that BI
} to no avail.  It appears NOT to be a hardware problem at this point.

	I have a DMB32.  I don't have anything connected to it though
	and don't really plan to.
}
} This morning we got a panic freeing free gnode, but no disk errors were
} reported.

	I haven't had any of those.  I had one of the file system
	panics while I was running V3.1, but I think it was related
	to changing the data by too much.

} --
}
} 			 	Larry Meehan (lwm at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)