double 'login:' prompt on Ultrix 4.1

Luigi Rizzo lr at cs.brown.edu
Tue May 14 03:10:13 AEST 1991

Hi there,
we recently installed two DecStation2100 running Ultrix 4.1.
After setting up the TCP/IP, I tried to telnet into the new
machine, and here is the result (the same on both of them):

	luigi at mv3500 2 > telnet pimac2
	Trying...
	Connected to pimac2.
	Escape character is '^]'.

	ULTRIX V4.1 (Rev. 52) (pimac2)

	login: luigi
	login: mypassword
	Password:

I didn't expect the second login prompt and typed my password. I
bet this is the behavious of the average user. I remember I read
something similar in a newsgroup some time ago, but don't
remember whether there was a fix or not, and which OS the bug
was related to (I doubt it was on Ultrix).

Any suggestions ?

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                Brown University & Univ. di Pisa
e-mail: lr at cs.brown.edu, luigi at iet.unipi.it