double 'login: ' prompt on Ultrix 4.1

Brian Ellis ellis at kauri.vuw.ac.nz
Tue May 14 07:43:53 AEST 1991

In article <75515 at brunix.UUCP>, lr at cs.brown.edu (Luigi Rizzo) writes:
|> After setting up the TCP/IP, I tried to telnet into the new
|> machine, and here is the result (the same on both of them):
|>
|> 	luigi at mv3500 2 > telnet pimac2
|> 	Trying...
|> 	Connected to pimac2.
|> 	Escape character is '^]'.
|>

|> 	ULTRIX V4.1 (Rev. 52) (pimac2)
|>
|> 	login: luigi
|> 	login: mypassword
|> 	Password:
|>

|> I didn't expect the second login prompt and typed my password.

This is the behaviour I observed when telneting from a Mac or PC just
after I installed DECnet/Ultrix. The problem was the gateway version of the telnet daemon that is part of DECnet/Ultrix. After complaining to DEC about
it, they came up with a new binary. Works fine now. The interesting thing was
it only asked for the login prompt twice when telneting from a Mac
or PC (NCSA Telnet) - but not from a Unix box or VMS (CMU-TCP).

|> Any suggestions ?

|> Luigi Rizzo                Brown University & Univ. di Pisa
|> e-mail: lr at cs.brown.edu, luigi at iet.unipi.it

Brian.

--
Brian Ellis                               Computing Services Centre
Domain: ellis at rata.vuw.ac.nz              Victoria University of Wellington