nfsd 4, why, and how to tune...

Kenstir kenc at suntan.viewlogic.com
Sat May 25 10:36:50 AEST 1991

In article <119 at janis.UUCP>, ericw at janis.UUCP (Eric Wedaa) writes:

> Does anyone have any ideas on how to tune the nfs daemon "nfsd".  I'm calling
> it with the recommended call (nfsd 4) but my server stil gets a bit slow
> when folks start doing makes across the net.  Any recommendations on how
> to come up with some standard performance figures so that I have some
> way to reliably measure my changes?  Or am I just being overly sensitive to
> the users and their comments on performance?

Upon recommendation by a DEC customer service guy, I lowered
the number of nfsd's to the number of actual disks I have, 2.
I found that the user on the console becomes significantly
happier during heated NFS traffic, as there are only 2 processes
against you in the battle for the timeslice.

DECstation 3100, Ultrix 4.1.

--
Kenneth H. Cox
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.