File-completion on Ultrix V4 uses backspace with 8th bit set

Ted Lemon mellon at nigiri.pa.dec.com
Tue May 28 09:59:06 AEST 1991

Nope, it's not your fault.  It's what we fondly refer to as a "bug".
You might try setting your VT220 or VT320 into ``seven bit'' mode -
perhaps it'll then strip the extra bit.  Chances are that unless
you're using the special Hawaiian character set, you're not using the
eight bit functionality anyway.  If you're using Xterm, the Ultrix 4.2
version of Xterm has a workaround installed - just add the following
line to your .Xdefaults file:

XTerm.decCShellFix:     true

This will only work with the DEC-supplied version of xterm, of course.
If you have your own version build from source, I can supply you with
a patch to enable this functionality.

			       _MelloN_

P.S. DEC doesn't support a Hawaiian character set, and as far as I
know, has no plans to support one in the future.   I was just kidding.
:')