File-completion on Ultrix V4 uses backspace with 8th bit set

Ralph Becker-Szendy ralph at uhheph.phys.hawaii.edu
Sat May 25 09:14:17 AEST 1991

Little weird problem. Under Ultrix on a DS5000 using the csh, I "set filec"
to enable file completion. When I hit the escape key to complete a file name
(g**d*** LK201 keyboard doesn't have one, but many other terminals
fortunately do), the csh does the following:
- it echoes "^[",
- it outputs two backspaces and two spaces (to cover up the ^[),
- it outputs two more backspaces, to get back to where we left off,
- and it outputs the rest of the filename.

Unfortunately, it outputs the backspaces with the 8th bit set ! On a VT100 or
a DECterm under DECwindows that causes no problem; the old 7-bit terminals
just strip the highest bit off and execute a backspace. The DECterm
automagically knows that a backspace is a backspace even with the high bit
set. But VT2xx and compatible terminals will not execute the backspace with
the high bit set. That leads to screen output like
"cd ca^[  lculate/fi^[  ndpeaks" for what should have been
"cd calculate/findpeaks".

Is there a way to fix that ? I assume it must be my fault. For completeness,
I am including the output of "stty everything" and my personal termcap (which
is just a copy of the DEC supplied termcap, with the fa5220 for the Falco
terminal operating with 49 lines added):

============= stty everything log ===========
new tty, speed 0 baud , 0 rows, 0 columns
even odd -raw -nl echo -lcase -tandem -tabs -cbreak
crtbs
 crterase -crtkill ctlecho -prterase -tostop
-tilde -flusho -litout -pass8 -nohang -autoflow
-pend
in -decctlq -noflsh
erase  kill   werase rprnt  flush  lnext  susp   intr   quit   stop   eof
^?     ^U     ^W     ^R     ^O     ^V     ^Z/^Y  ^C     ^\     ^S/^Q  ^D

============= my personal termcap , clipped to the terminals of interest =====
dr|vt100p|vt100p-nam|dec vt100p:\
	:am:\
	:al=\E[L:\
	:bl=^G:\
	:bs:\
	:cd=50\E[J:\
	:ce=3\E[K:\
	:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:\
	:cm=10\E[%i%d;%dH:\
	:co#80:\
	:cr=^M:\
	:cs=\E[%i%d;%dr:\
	:dc=\E[P:\
	:dl=\E[M:\
	:do=^J:\
	:ei=\E[4l:\
	:ho=\E[H:\
	:im=\E[4h:\
	:is=\E[1;24r\E[24;1H:\
	:k1=\EOP:\
	:k2=\EOQ:\
	:k3=\EOR:\
	:k4=\EOS:\
	:kb=^H:\
	:kd=\EOB:\
	:ke=\E[?1l\E>:\
	:kl=\EOD:\
	:kr=\EOC:\
	:ks=\E[?1h\E=:\
	:ku=\EOA:\
	:le=^H:\
	:li#24:\
	:md=2\E[1m:\
	:mr=2\E[7m:\
	:mb=2\E[5m:\
	:me=2\E[m:\
	:mi:\
	:nd=\E[C:\
	:nl=^J:\
	:pt:\
	:rc=\E8:\
	:rf=/usr/lib/tabset/vt100:\
	:rs=\E>\E[?3l\E[?4l\E[?5l\E[?7h\E[?8h:\
	:sc=\E7:\
	:se=\E[m:\
	:so=\E[7m:\
	:sr=\EM:\
	:ta=^I:\
	:ue=\E[m:\
	:up=\E[A:\
	:us=\E[4m:\
	:vt#3:\
	:xn:
da|vt200|vt200-nam|dec vt200:\
	:ae=4\E(B:\
	:as=2\E(<:\
	:tc=vt100p:
db|vt300|dec vt300:\
	:hs:\
	:es:\
	:ts=\E[1$}\E[;H\E[K:\
	:fs=\E[0$}:\
	:ds=\E[1$}\E[;H\E[K\E[0$}:\
	:tc=vt200:
Ra|fa5220|falco f5xxx 49 lines:\
	:li#49:\
	:is=\E1;49r\E[49;1H:\
	:tc=vt200:

Thanks for any enlightenment.

--
Ralph Becker-Szendy                          UHHEPG=24742::RALPH (HEPNet,SPAN)
University of Hawaii                              RALPH at UHHEPG.PHYS.HAWAII.EDU