Shared Printers

JIW2 at psuvm.psu.edu JIW2 at psuvm.psu.edu
Thu May 23 23:01:25 AEST 1991

 All of this recent discussion of printer sharing between VMS and
Ultrix machines brings up a related problem of my own:  At our
site, we have both a VAXstation 3100 and DECstation 3100, sharing
a printer via LAT through a DECserver 200.  Our problem is that
if the two machines try to print at the same time, one of the print
jobs gets aborted.  In fact, if the Ultrix machine is in the midst
of printing a file and someone submits a job from VMS, the Ultrix
job is lost completely.  What's wrong with this picture?

 Poring over the Ultrix documentation hasn't enlightened me much.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get these two machines
to share the printer (an LN03R) amicably?  I hope this is a dumb
question -- dumb questions always have simple answers.

                                       John Wagner

                                Pennsylvania State University