Shared Printers

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu May 23 18:15:13 AEST 1991

In article <178 at motto.UUCP> murray at motto.UUCP (Murray S. Kucherawy) writes:
> grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> >The sharing of DECserver printer ports is via LAT,
> >DECnet/Ultrix is *not* needed
> >to get this functionality.
>
> That's not what I had in mind.  Our printers are currently on the DECserver
> using LAT.  We want to take them off and put them on the VMS machine,
> but still allow the Ultrix machine and the other VMS machines to be able
> to use those printers.  All the machines are equipped with DECnet.

Well, Multinet provides BSD compatible print spooling services.  I think most
of the competitive products do also, but who knows about UCX?  It should also
be possible to do something with the DECnet/Ultrix "TELL"/remote objects to
submit jobs that dump things in VMS queues.

Excuse me if I've overlooked something obvious.  We've used an assortment of
things here which have evolved over time.  I think we started with the tell
approach, then did a third-party thing when we got sunlink DNI (decnet for Sun)
where ultrix remoted printed to suns which remote printed to VMS, but now we
depend on the Multinet services.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com