Backup media choice

Rich Snow rich at aoa.UUCP
Thu May 30 05:42:33 AEST 1991

(Jim Ray) writes:
>We are getting ready to choose a backup jukebox type system for our
>existing DEC 5500's ( but additionally want to use it for our other machines
>as well including IBM etc ).
>
>What is the general feeling about 8mm and 4mm tape systems as an
>alternative?

We love 8mm. The tapes are inexpensive and once we wrote some scripts
to automate it, it really cut down our tape duty. We use the Delta
microsystems drive on our SUN 3/60 as a backup drive for our 'net.
We do not use their front end software, just the driver.
The one tape capacity is fine for us, sounds like you have a BIG network!

>What experiences have people had with dec's new solution? ( Apparently
>some sort of TK70 like stacker that handles 2.3 gig per tape and a
>transfer rate of 800k bytes/sec ).

As the subject line says, "Oh Puhleeeease!" Don't tell me they're
marketing yet another incompatible tape format!

-Rich
--
*	Rich Snow  AOA-----------------*
*       (617)864-0201