Backup media choice

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Fri May 24 10:34:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991May23.194357.14283 at mlb.semi.harris.com>, jdr at sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:
> We are getting ready to choose a backup jukebox type system for our
> existing DEC 5500's ( but additionally want to use it for our other machine
	   ^^^^^^^^^^

	This being a DECsystem 5500 will be significant later...

> What experiences have people had with dec's new solution? ( Apparently
> some sort of TK70 like stacker that handles 2.3 gig per tape and a
> transfer rate of 800k bytes/sec ).

	The tape system you refer is the TF857.  The "TF" part
	means it's a DSSI tape drive.  I suspect the "7" part
	has something to do with the loader.  It uses a cartridge
	which on the outside looks a lot like a CompacTape I and
	II (TK50 and TK70).  I suspect the media inside is a bit
	better than either.  It looks like a good tape system.

	That said; ULTRIX doesn't support it.  It would be an
	expensive exercise on your part to find out if lack of
	support means it's untested or doesn't work.

	Perhaps if there's a demand for it we'll make a SCSI
	version someday.  Let you're sale representives know.

> Thanks, in advance....

	You're welcome.

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.cxn.dec.com