Decnet-tcp/ip gateway.

Braham Levy pha21 at seq1.keele.ac.uk
Thu May 30 23:30:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991May29.151258.19842 at augean.ua.OZ.AU>, idall at augean.ua.oz.au (Ian Dall) writes:

> We have a zillion Vaxes and one lonely DecStation. The DecStation has
> Decnet and the decnet-tcp/ip gateway software (as well, of course as
> tcp-ip). We also have some tcp-ip only X terminals.
>
> What we want to be able to do is run DecWindows clients on the VMS
> machines and have them use the X server on the X terminals. Is this
> possible? We would very much prefer a solution which ran on the
> DecStation rather than the VMS machines since we would have to get
> rather a lot of licences if we had the VMS solution (unless one VMS
> machine could act as a gateway).

UCX on the VMS machines will solve the problem. This is now part of VMS
or at least sufficient to do what you want is, as from 5.3 i think, hence
no extra cost should be involved. Unfortunately this runs on the VMS
machines but what the ....

> It seems to me that this could be done two ways. One would be for the
> DecStation to appear as multiple nodes (the extra nodes being pseudo
> nodes for the X terminals). The other would be to have the X terminals
> appear as extra displays on the Decstation. Of course, being possible,
> and being implimented are two different things...

this should enable your DecStation to act as a server to VMS X clients
and also the same for your X-Terminals. Beware you might need some extra
fonts for the X-Terms or some aliases to get things cooking.

braham

___
j braham levy					| UDSP Lab, EE Group,
JANET:	brahamlevy at uk.ac.keele			| Physics Department,
USENET:	brahamlevy at keele.ac.uk			| University of Keele , Keele,
UUCP: ...ukc!keele.ac.uk!brahamlevy		| Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, UK.