Huge process takes inordinate amount of time to "die" under ultrix.

Nick Caruso nick at icad.com
Thu May 30 01:54:35 AEST 1991

Ok, the situation is this: our product is a *very* large lisp program.
When I say very large I mean the executable is ~85Mbytes on MIPS
architecture machines and ~75Mbytes on sparc machines.  "Power-users"
of the product often grow the data segment to 200Mbytes or beyond on
the sparc machines.

On the decstation, running ultrix 4.0 & 4.1, the process running
lisp seems to take a long time to die- sometimes more than a minute.
During this time, the paging devices are going wild and vmstat shows
a large amount of paging activity.  The lisp process itself is usually
absent from ps listings at this point, although the paging activity
continues unabated.

This does not happen under sunos.  My question is, what the *hell* is
ultrix doing?

  thanks in advance!

--

			   --nick caruso--
			icad inc, 201 broadway

"Haven't you ever had people coming over and had no time to shop?
 You have to make do with what's in the fridge, Clarice."
    -Hannibal Lecter