Advice on Technical Plotting Software for DECstation Wanted

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine54.Stanford.EDU
Wed May 15 15:19:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991May14.134648.21242 at cs.fau.edu> liq at sol.cs.fau.edu (Charlie Li) writes:
>Hi,
>
>We need to draw 2D and 3D graphs on Decstation 5000 running Ultrix with
>DecWindows, Tektronix terminals and HP LaserJet/Apple LaserWriter printers.

[stuff related to IMSL deleted]

I would recommand you ftp gnuplot 2.0.2 from prep.ai.mit.edu /pub/gnu
and 3D patch from cs.utah.edu (an excellent patch made by Elber Gershon)

Gnuplot is so portable I think anyone with a little experience programming C
in Unix enviornment can set it up in sleep!  I have built it for my school's
SUN SPARC running SUNOS 4.4.1, DECstations 3100 running Ultrix 4.1, IBM RS6000
running AIX 3.1.5, and my personal 386 unix box running ESIX V R3.2 rev D.
All computers also run MIT's X11R4 except RS6000, for which I built X11R4
clients/libs/includes but for the time being we are stuck with the X11R3
server provided by IBM :-{

It supports X, and lot's terminals/printers.  Except bussiness oriented bar
pie stuff, it beats the IMSL thing by miles (which perhaps use some codes from
this VERY well known PD package?) for interactive usuages.

Hope the info helps

>Thank you for your advice in advance.  Sorry if I post to a wrong group.
>
>Charlie Li
>Florida Atlantic University

[IMSL exponent plot stuff deleted]

You are very welcome.