Anyone ever run elm on DECstation/Ultrix?

Frank Wortner frank at croton.nyo.dec.com
Thu May 9 00:40:48 AEST 1991

In article <1991May7.230339.3520 at ccu.umanitoba.ca>, gedetil at silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Gilbert E. Detillieux) writes:

|>The only problem I had with the installation was trying to compile the
|>thing with Gnu C, rather than the standard C compiler:  the problem seems to be
|>with inconsistencies in the Ultrix header files (e.g. typedef int time_t; was
|>in some headers, rather than using long int).  When I gave up on Gnu C's nice
|>strict type-checking and used the much more lax MIPS C compiler, everything
|>worked fine.  (Retorical FAQ:  When will DEC get Unix right?)

You gave up way too easily.  ;-)

There are two files that give gcc problems:  date.c and opt_util.c.  Both of these
are easy to fix.

In date.c, place an #ifndef __STDC__, #endif pair around the declaration of time().

In opt_util.c, place an #ifndef __ultrix__ #endif pair around the definitions of
strtok() and strpbrk().  The ULTRIX C library contains these functions.  A better
solution would be to update the Configure script to check for the existence of
these funtions.

If you make both these changes, gcc *will* compile ELM on the ULTRIX operating
system.

					Frank