Why can't I start hesupd?

hbo at voodoo.physics.ucsb.edu hbo at voodoo.physics.ucsb.edu
Thu May 23 02:08:15 AEST 1991

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <1991May22.103301.647 at nbivax.nbi.dk>, nilsson at nbivax.nbi.dk writes...

>I would like to get in touch with somebody, who is running Bind/Hesiod
>successfully under Ultrix 4.1 The Bind part seems to work OK, but I can
>not make the hesupd daemon start on the server:
>
>/usr/etc/hesupd
>hesupd can only be run on a bind primary

   The manuals say that your hesiod server must have the alias "bindmaster"
as part of its /etc/hosts entry. I found that I had to place the alias last in
the list in order for hesupd to recognize it:

128.111.8.30	sbphy.physics.ucsb.edu sbphy bindmaster

   I got around the error you describe with the above solution.

Howard Owen, Computer Systems Manager    internet: hbo at sbphy.physics.ucsb.edu
Physics Computer Services                BITNET:            HBO at VOODOO.BITNET
University of California, Santa Barbara  DECNET Internet:          45180::HBO
"I am not a pay TV service!"             Telephone:       805-893-8366 (work)