back to immediate distribution

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Sun Dec 13 09:46:57 AEST 1981

>From dsp.dove at MIT-SPEECH@MIT-MC Sun Dec 13 09:45:44 1981
	I had a similar problem with external arrays.  Such an array
has no storage associated with its name "foo".  Conversely, "extern
*foo;" does have such storage.  This causes a problem for the routine
using "extern *foo;" since the compiler tries to use the symbol "foo"
as a storage location with which to point to the array.  This problem
doesn't occur once the array is passed to a subroutine, since then it
is on the stack and therefore references to the array name do pertain
to a storage location.  It also won't occur if you use "extern
foo[];", because the compiler generates different code for accessing
"foo" in that case.

	This is the only case I am aware of that *foo is different
then foo[];
-------