more on /etc/rc and /dev/console

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!dpk at BMD70 utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!dpk at BMD70
Thu Dec 31 21:53:18 AEST 1981

From:      Doug Kingston <dpk at BMD70>
	Here at BRL we run a highly modified version of V6, but we still
do not have process groups.  Even so, the following information is
applicable with suitable modificaton.

	We wanted a way for our arpanet and accounting programs
to write on the console without gaining a controlling tty.  This
was seen as a general need for logging various kinds of information
so we wrote a few lines of code to implement what we call the "console"
device.  Physically it is the same as some other device[s], but when
you open that device it does not become your controlling tty.  Essentially
there is a conopen() which does a normal open and then resets the controlling
tty if appropriate.  This means that in /etc/rc or a program, this device
can be opened with no side effects, just output.  If anyone wants more
info, send me a private letter.
					Cheers,
						Doug