more on /etc/rc and /dev/console

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!gwyn at UTEXAS-11 utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!gwyn at UTEXAS-11
Wed Dec 30 23:35:22 AEST 1981

Is this bit about process groups accurate?  If /etc/rc contains the line
	foo >/dev/console
I thought that a fork & exec was used to run foo; the fork would make a
process that had /dev/console for control tty, but upon exit I wouldn't
expect the shell that is processing /etc/rc to have magically entered
foo's no-longer-relevant process group.  Am I missing something here?
(Clearly Bellovin is correct in observing that the shell should not open
/dev/console globally for the entire /etc/rc file, unless nohup or
equivalent happened to be used to run cron and other daemons.)
-------