the definitive word on 405 overlays

utzoo!duke!decvax!ucbvax!CSVAX.mark at Berkeley utzoo!duke!decvax!ucbvax!CSVAX.mark at Berkeley
Sat Jun 6 03:28:00 AEST 1981

>From research!dmr  Fri Jun  5 19:57:42 1981
Subject: 405 executable files

SMB and CFH are both right.  The original work was done at Harvard,
and used (during the Harvard-CULC liason) for the overlays in Fortran
4+.  Bourne used it, after I put it in our system, for Algol 68C.
As far as I know it works in V7 as distributed.  There is no other
software I know of that uses it, although paleontologists can
easily find evidence in ld.c: the -v flag, struct overlay, and the like.

This stuff had no connection with the Interdata system.  The code
may have stayed in, but if overlays were slighted on the 11, we
weren't going do overexert ourselves on the megabyte Interdata.