double setuid programs and accounting

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Thu Oct 15 23:47:39 AEST 1981

>From cbosgd!mark at Berkeley Thu Oct 15 21:17:03 1981

I claim that the real uid is no good for accounting anyway, since the
UNIX philosophy is to let one user start a daemon which does work spooled
by many.  The uucp and lpr deamons work this way - you could be charged
for a good deal of work that was spooled by someone else.  I would appreciate
hearing from sites that really do accounting - to what extent do you depend
on the real uid, and what do you do about uucp and lpr?  What sites out there
would object to allowing setuid(geteuid()) on accounting or other grounds?

mknod needs to be protected to prevent people from making nonstandard
directory structures (with funny things in . and ..) and read-allowed
versions of special devices, protected files, etc.