Long headers

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Thu Oct 22 17:21:59 AEST 1981

>From decvax!duke!unc!smb at Berkeley Thu Oct 22 16:45:45 1981
Sorry if the header lines annoy you -- one of the reasons you get a few
extra lines from me is that I got a bit tired of people assuming I was
at Berkeley (or sometimes duke).  I'd gladly eliminate them if my
mailer would stick to ARPA-compatible headers that include my real name
and site, but given the constraints of uucp, that won't work.  ARPA
standard RFC733 requires "Date:" and "From:" lines, defines certain
other fields such as "Subject:", and permits anything that conforms to
certain loose standards .  The program at Berkeley that passes the
mailing list through to the Usenet strips off most headers, so I don't
see what all the mailers along the way stick in.