lisp

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Tue Oct 27 23:41:27 AEST 1981

>From MBM at MIT-XX Tue Oct 27 22:50:52 1981
We have had the Harvard lisp under recent discussion for a few months,
and frankly wouldnt recommend it.  For one thing, they say it implements
lisp 1.5, which is about like saying your fortran compiler implements
fortran II.  No, its more like saying you have an apl interpreter that
implements Ken Iverson's original paper.  As an example I couldnt even
carry out the simplest exercises in Winston and Horn's book on lisp
programming without getting different answers.  For another thing, its
written in assembler; not as, but "macro" which isnt DEC macro-11
but something that looks like it but has been hacked up.  Good luck
trying to maintain it without help.  In fact it bears a lot of
resemblances to an MIT crock lisp, which, in fairness, is also
10 years old, predates unix, and was only intended for teaching
(except that is a little closer to a useful dialect: maclisp).

Hasnt ANYONE out there at least TRIED to write a lisp for unix?
Can we do ANYTHING about trimming down this berkeley lisp so it
will run on an 11?
--mike
-------