ls

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Tue Sep 22 17:51:06 AEST 1981

>From oku at UTEXAS-11 Tue Sep 22 17:07:14 1981
Ls is very slow as it comes from Bell for large systems.  One of the first
things that we did at OU, was to #ifdef in an interface to the getpw* and
getgr* routines.  This sped things up considerably as the passwd file at OU
has just under 2600 lines in it.  The get* routines that we use, utilize
various forms of hashing to help things along.

		Peter Staubach
-------