f77, overlapping initializations

utzoo!decvax!duke!ucf-cs!whm utzoo!decvax!duke!ucf-cs!whm
Mon Mar 15 20:55:07 AEST 1982

I remember seeing a message from someone in the last couple of days
about not knowing what the f77 message "overlapping initializations"
meant.  The most common cause of this error is when a variable
is initialized twice with a data statement, e.g.:
	data x/1/
	data x/2/
I presume that other problems with data statements might cause
similar crypticity.

I would have sent this to the person who sent the message, but I can't
locate it, so I hope this gets to whoever needs it.

					Bill Mitchell
					Univ. of Central Florida