configuring and booting 4.1bsd

dav at berkeley dav at berkeley
Thu Aug 11 03:48:00 AEST 1983

I'll let others answer your first 4 questions...  I'll tackle these.

	E) - After editing my own configuration file and running /etc/config on
	it and "make depend", I ran "make" and was told at the very end:
	 rearranging symbols
	 2 symbol(s) not found:
	 _dh11
	 _ndh11

	     My question is, should I care?  I don't think I have a DH-11.  Am
	I wrong?  Do I have to have a DH-11?  Should I be able to boot from
	that configuration?

I also have a vax with no dh's, and I also get the exact same error message.
It has never caused me any problems...  I'm curious to find out what other
people have to say about it.
I suspect that we could include a DH in our config file, which of course
wouldn't be found at boot time, and it would make the error message go away.

	F) - Why, when I first booted from tape, was I told "Version 4.2" and
	later, when I brought up (sorta) multi-user, "Berkeley 4.1 VAX/UNIX
	(Amnesia-Vax)" and where did the "Amnesia-Vax" come from and how do I
	change it?

I'm not sure where the 4.2 came from - but the Amnesia-Vax (so named because
you are supposed to make it forget that it was Amnesia-Vax I guess) is
from /usr/include/whoami.h and/or /usr/include/ident.h.  This is mentioned
somewhere in that installation paper.

	G) - What getty code signifies a tty line that is 9600-1200-300
	baud (order not critical, other may be included)?  Or, where should I
	look for the getty source?  (what dir?)

What an interesting collection of speeds on the same line...
There is no char in the standard getty for those, but they are very easy
to add.  The code for getty (and all other commands on the system) is
in /usr/src/cmd.  It should be self-explanatory.

			David L. Markowitz
			Rockwell International
			...!ucbvax!{ucivax,trw-unix}!csuf!dav